Ayuntamiento de Hondarribia

17 April 2014

The Santa Maria Gate

The Santa Maria Gate

The Santa Maria Gate is one of the two entrances to the town and it was built at the beginning of the sixteenth century. It is protected on the west side by the Santa Maria Turret. The entrance is a low dovelada arch and on top of it a large coat of arms dated 1694, crowned by the Virgin of Guadalupe flanked by two chubby children, is inserted. This coat of arms came from the Capuchin Convent in 1879. The gate hinges still remain.

Protection

Historical Monuments. Qualified. Special protection (BCOB no. 21 dated January 30th, 2001).


© Ayuntamiento de Hondarribia, 2009 · Kale Nagusia 20 · 20280 Hondarribia · Email: udala@hondarribia.org · Telf.: 943 11 12 13 | Fax: 943 11 12 50

gipuzkoa.net